Guide to Applying for a Police Clearance Certificate in Guangzhou

This is a guide for people who are not citizens of China, regarding how to apply for a China police clearance certificate in Guangzhou, for purposes of immigration, employment or school admission. Police clearance certificate is also known as certificate of no criminal record.

On March 1, 2019, a new regulation governing PCC applications in Guangdong came into effect. While the new regulation brings improvements with respect to streamlining the application process, it imposes a stricter requirement on Temporary Residence Registration Forms.

China does not have a national authority that issues police clearance certificates. Instead, local authorities in each city issue the certificates to residents of the city. Furthermore, each certificate only covers the period of your residence in a particular city, meaning you need multiple certificates to cover your entire stay in China if you lived in multiple cities. Guangdong Province becomes the only exception thanks to the new regulation, which provides that if you lived in multiples cities of Guangdong Province, you may apply for a single certificate covering your entire time in Guangdong Province.

Application Procedures

STEP 1: Apply to the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Guangzhou Public Security Bureau for a Police Clearance Certificate

If you are unable to file the application yourselves, you may appoint a third-party representative to act on your behalf. The processing time for most cases is 3 business days.

Contact info of the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Guangzhou Public Security Bureau:

Address: Jiefang Nanlu 155 Hao, Yuexiu Qu, Guangzhou (In Chinese, 广州市越秀区解放南路155号)
Tel.: Unavailable. In-person inquiry only.
Office Hours8:30-12:00 and 14:00-17:30, Monday to Friday, closed during holidays.

STEP 2: Apply to Guangzhou Notary Public Office for Notarizing the Police Clearance Certificate

Contact info of Guangzhou Notary Public Office

Address: Dongfeng Zhonglu Yuexiu Chengshi Guangchang Nanta 10~12 Lou, Yuexiu Qu, Guangzhou 510030 (In Chinese, 广州市越秀区东风中路越秀城市广场南塔10~12楼 邮编510030)
Tel.: 020-83183060

Office Hours

9:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30, Monday to Friday, closed during holidays.

Guangzhou Notary Public Office has one central office (with the address above) and four branch offices. It is recommended to make your application with the central office. The other branch offices may not be familiar with this particular notary application. The processing time with the notary is about 10 business days.

Application Requirements


  1. You must have resided in Guangdong Province for 6 months or more, evidenced by your Temporary Residence Registration Form(s); and
  2. You must not be of diplomatic status during the period you want the certificate to cover.

Required Documents

(a) Passports—Originals or Authenticated Copies

The original documents of your passports are always preferred. If original passports are unavailable and only copies are provided, the copies must be authenticated by a China Consulate/ Embassy.

(b) Temporary Residence Registration Form(s)

Your Temporary Residence Registration Forms (TRRF) will determine what periods of your residence will be covered by your police clearance certificate. If you never had a TRRF, your application will not be accepted. If you have some TRRFs but lost the others, you can only apply to cover the periods of your residence reflected by the available TRRFs. The date when a TRRF is issued will be considered as the beginning of your residence in Guangzhou and the visa expiry date as the end of your residence.  is typically the period beginning from the date of check in to the visa expiry date as shown in the below sample.

Sample Guangzhou Temporary Residence Registration Form

(c) Power of attorney

A power of attorney is required if another person makes the application on your behalf. A power of attorney must be notarized (if you are in China) or authenticated by a China Consulate/ Embassy (if you are in a foreign county).


Regulations about China police clearance certificates are not inclusive in nature. And local authorities are given discretionary powers in practice. If you have an issue that is not covered here, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Our Services for Obtaining Police Clearance Certificates in Guangzhou

We are committed to providing high-quality services for obtaining your China police clearance certificate in Guangzhou. If you are interested in hiring us, please fill in a quote request form. Click below button to get started. 

6 thoughts on “Guide to Applying for a Police Clearance Certificate in Guangzhou”

  1. Hi Pete, thanks for an informative article. I am applying for a US K-visa in India, and need to show a PCC for my stay in Guangzhou, when I was over the age of 16, from 2003-2005 & 2009-2013.

    I have two questions:

    1. Currently, I’m unable to find my TRRFs. Do you think it is possible to gather/get these original documents again from some agency in Guangzhou?

    2. Would this Power of Attorney document acceptable?

    Thank you. Warmly, Dhruv

    • Hi Dhruv,

      1. You should request the local police station which orginally registered you residnce to re-print your TRRFs. Please be prepared for the possibility that you may not get the TRRFs, because sometimes the local police doesn’t cooperate or the records have been deleted over time.
      2. The blank Power of Attorney looks Ok. Make sure you include all the matters that your agent is authorized to handle on your behalf.

  2. Hello there. I’m currently outside China but a friend of mine will be going there to help with my police clearance. If i issue a power of attorney will he be able to notarize it on my behalf in China or do I need to be physically present?

    • Hi Oyon. I don’t think your friend will be able to get the power of attorney notarized on your behalf. For a power of attorney to be recognized by loal authorities in China, the best way is to get the power of attorney authenticated by a China Embassy/Consulate in the country where you are living.

  3. Hello Pete,
    My name is Jason I lived in China in Guangzhou city and left with an official PCC that I got May 2017 from Guangzhou Notary Bureau, but I left china in August 2017, is this document still valid, can I use it this time to get a PR in Canada if not what can you help me to get this as a third party, my friend was struggling as they need me to be there or send authenticated papers from the Chinese embassy?

    • Hi Jason. The instructions about police certificates for Canadian Express Entry applications state that “the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row”. See at It seems to me that the instructions are not very clear about your situation. If the Canadian authorities consider the period of your stay from May to August as a separate stay from the previous period, your PCC will be valid. If they think otherwise, they may require you to get a new one to cover the last 3 months. In my experience, immigration authorities usually do not require an additional PCC if the current one covers all the time except the last a couple of months. To answer your second question about the required documents, authenticated passports copies and power of attorney must be submitted, unless you travel to Guangzhou to file the application on your own.


Leave a Comment